Kentucky Half Classic
It can be hard to determine which half marathon you want to run in the spring. To make it easier, RunTheBluegrass Half Marathon in Lexington and the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon in Louisville have teamed up and are encouraging runners to do both!
Now you can run the picturesque horse farms of Lexington including Donamire Farm, Stonestreet Farm and Keeneland along with great urban attractions in Louisville such as Louisville Slugger, the University of Louisville campus, Churchill Downs and more.
In total, you’ll cover 26.2 Miles in Kentucky!
Click here for more information on RunTheBluegrass.
- Commemorative Finisher’s Medal recognizing your accomplishment (distributed at the Kentucky Derby Festival’s Finish Line “Runners Reunite” area)
- Exclusive access to Half Classic food and drink areas after each race
- Unique Half Classic photograph opportunities
- One-of-a-kind Half Classic stickers for your racing bib (should be picked up at each of the race expo’s)
- Private portable toilets at each Finish line
- Listed in Sunday, April 26th’s Louisville Courier Journal as Half Classic Finishers
- Information on weekly training runs for each race (January thru April)
- The RunTheBluegrass Half Marathon and the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon or Marathon must be run consecutively.
- The first 2,000 registrants of both races qualify to participate.
- To qualify for 2015’s Kentucky Half Classic, you must be an official Finisher* of Lexington’s 2015 RunTheBluegrass Half-Marathon on March 28th as well as an official Finisher of Louisville’s Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon or Marathon on April 25th. Runners must have official finish times for both events to qualify.
- Individuals must register for each race separately.
- All waivers must be signed for each individual Race.
*If you are registered for RunTheBluegrass and KDF, but do not start or finish RunTheBluegrass, you forfeit your eligibility for 2014’s Kentucky Half Classic. If you still wish to run KDF, we will switch you over to the open KDF miniMarathon or Marathon.
If I’m already registered for both races, do I need to do anything else?
No! You are all set! We will follow up with you with the first 2,000 registrants of both races with specific Half Classic instructions as we approach March and April, but all you need to do is come to each of the two Expos and “check in” at our Kentucky Half Classic space to receive your Race Bib’s special Half Classic sticker – which will not only identify you for our unique Kentucky Half Classic Finisher Medals, but also for your special food and drinks area, post-race.
If I’m already registered for one of the two races, what do I need to do?
Once you are signed up for both, we take care of the rest! When you register for the second of the two races, just click the box indicating you are running in our 2015 Kentucky Half Classic! The first 2,000 registrants of each race will be notified.
If I’m running the Derby Festival’s Full Marathon, do I still qualify?
Yes! The first 2,000 registrants of RunTheBluegrass and Kentucky Derby Festival’s miniMarathon or Marathon qualify as 2015 Kentucky Half Classic finishers!
(For RunTheBluegrass only) If I’m registered for the 7-Miler, can I switch to the Half-Marathon in order to participate in the Half Classic?
Yes! In your original registration confirmation emailed to you, you’ll see a blue “Manage Registration” hyperlink. Click on that and it will take you to the page where you can easily transfer your registration to the Half-Marathon (plus other options). If you transfer before February 15th, the normal $10 transfer fee is being waived for you, as a special Kentucky Half Classic gift to you! After February 15th, the regular $10 transfer fee will apply because we have to change your Race Bib and timing chip.
Is there a discount for registering for both races?
We decided to offer unique and special commemorative Finisher Medals for your Kentucky Double Half-Marathon accomplishment, plus provide you with exclusive special amenities at both Finish Lines, in addition to private portalets at each Finish Line.
How will I know I am a Kentucky Half Classic Participant?
Once you have registered for both the RunTheBluegrass and the Kentucky Derby Festival miniMarathon or Marathon your entry will be tracked by race officials. The first 1000 registrants of both races will qualify to participate in the Kentucky Half Classic. Be sure to visit the two races at each race expo to receive a specialized Kentucky Half Classic bib sticker identifying you as a participant. At each race finish line there will be a designated Kentucky Half Classic finisher’s area where you will check-in and receive your official Kentucky Half Classic finisher’s medal along with other amenities.