Course DetailsClick here to view course map
Race Course Details & Restrictions
There will be NO bags allowed on the course. You will have the opportunity to leave all belongings at gear check located at Louisville Slugger Field. Camel Backs & Water Bags will be allowed.
Absolutely no participant is allowed on the course prior to 7:30 a.m. (EDT). Any participant on the racecourse before 7:30 a.m. will be disqualified and asked to leave the racecourse. The following are strictly prohibited at all times:
- Roller Skates (including in-line skate)
- Bicycles (including hand crank bicycles)
- Baby Strollers
- United States Track and Field Sanctioned Course and Event
- Boston Marathon Qualifying event
- Bicycles, Skateboards, Scooters, Baby Joggers, Strollers, Roller Skates and Roller Blades are not permitted on the course
- Headphones (Ipods, MP3 players, CDs, Tape Walkmans, Radios, etc.) are discouraged
- Fluid and Medical Stations are positioned along the race course
- Water and Powerade are offered at Fluid Stations
- Norton Sports Health Medical Stations along route
- Floyd and Preston; In Riverside Parking Lot again buildings west wall; 10 restrooms and 2 Handicap
- 65 restrooms lined along the east sidewalk of Jackson Street up against building; 65 restrooms lined along the west sidewalk of Hancock Street up against fence and concrete wall.
- 8 restrooms lined along the south side of Broadway; East of Rail road overpass
- 5 Restrooms lined at 4th and Kentucky (lined on the North Side of Kentucky); 5 restrooms lined at 3rd and Kentucky (lined on the south side of Kentucky)
- 4 Restrooms and 1 Handicap lined at 4th and Central Ave (lined on the North Side of Central Ave); 4 Restrooms and 1 handicap lined at 3rd and Central Ave (lined on the west side of 3rd street)
- 5 restrooms lined on Southern Parkway and Woodlawn (lined on the west side of Southern Parkway)
- 5 restrooms lined on Southern Parkway and Taylor Blvd (lined on the west side of Southern Parkway)
- 5 restrooms lined on Barrett Ave between Christy and Morton Ave. (Lined on Right side of road as you are going toward Eastern Parkway)
- 5 restrooms lined on Baxter Ave at Broadway (lined on Baxter Ave after Broadway)
- 15 restrooms and 1 Handicap lined on grass at Waterfront (North of I-64 Overpass) and 1 restroom and 1 handicap at Preston and Witherspoon.
- 3 restrooms at 4th and Industry (lined on east side of 4th street) and 3 restrooms at 3rd and Eastern Parkway (west side of 3rd Street)
- 2 restrooms at Southern Parkway and Ashland Ave (lined west side of Southern Parkway) and 2 restrooms at Southern Parkway and Wellington (lined on the east side of Southern Parkway)
NOTE: Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon & miniMarathon race officials have the right to disqualify or remove from the course any participant whose activity violates any condition set forth or who poses any potential harm to himself/herself or any other participant. All participants must maintain no more than a 13:45 minute per mile pace for the full Marathon or a 15:00 minute per mile in the half Marathon. Roads will reopen following the Louisville Metro Police trail car which starts after the last corral crosses the start line (not gun time). Course services will not be available past this time. All Marathoners must reach mile 20 Split (3rd & Breckinridge) by 12:05p.m. in order to continue the route with full support. If participants fall short of the 13:45 pace time participants have the option to continue the Marathon course without traffic support using sidewalks or continue the remaining half marathon course down 3rd St.
2015 Course Certifications
Marathon (26.2 miles): USATF KY10002MS
- Marathon is a BOSTON QUALIFIER miniMarathon (13.1 miles): USATF KY10001MS
A color-coded Event Alert System (EAS) will communicate the status of course conditions to participants leading up to and on race day. The levels range from Low (green) Moderate (yellow) High (red) Extreme (black) based primarily on the weather, as well as other conditions.
- Email and website communication during race week will inform participants of the current Event Alert System status and provide preparation tips based on advance weather forecasts.
- Updates will be made at the Kentucky Derby Festival Race Expo via signage in the packet pick-up area and public address announcements.
- On race day, the current Event Alert System status will be communicated via public address announcements and color-coded signs/flags at the start and finish areas, and along the course at each of the 6 Norton Medical aid station locations and via large digital traffic message boards.
- Runners signed up for Runner Tracking system can be directly communicated to via text or other alerts.
All participants should familiarize themselves with the Event Alert System prior to the race, remain alert for directions from race officials and announcers and take precautions to prepare properly for varying weather conditions on race day.
Event Alert System table:
Public safety message
Please join us in being vigilant of your surroundings during the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and miniMarathon. If you see something say something, a suspicious person, object or vehicle along or near the race course, report the sighting to 9-1-1 or to onsite law enforcement personnel.
Do not store, hide or leave any personal items, backpacks, packages or clothes along or near the race course, including the start and finish line areas. Use designated Gear Check areas to check your personal belongings, or leave your personal items with a friend or family member.
Thank you for helping to keep yourself and those around you safe.