- United States Track and Field Sanctioned Course and Event
- Boston Marathon Qualifying event
- Bicycles, Skateboards, Scooters, Baby Joggers, Strollers, Roller Skates and Roller Blades are not permitted on the course
- Headphones are allowed, but safety is cautioned with use of headphones, earbuds, air buds, etc.
- Fluid, nutrition and Medical Stations are positioned along the race course
- Water and Powerade are offered at Fluid Stations
- Norton Sports Health Medical Stations along route
NOTE: Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon & miniMarathon race officials have the right to disqualify or remove from the course any participant whose activity violates any condition set forth or who poses any potential harm to himself/herself or any other participant.
All participants must maintain no more than a 13:45 minute per mile pace for the full Marathon or a 15:00 minute per mile in the half Marathon.
Roads will reopen following the Louisville Metro Police trail car which starts after the last corral crosses the start line (not gun time). Course services will not be available past this time.
There will be NO bags allowed on the course. You will have the opportunity to leave all belongings at gear check located at Louisville Slugger Field. Camel Backs & Water Bags will be allowed.
Absolutely no participant is allowed on the course prior to 7:30 a.m. (EDT). Any participant on the racecourse before 7:30 a.m. will be disqualified and asked to leave the racecourse. The following are strictly prohibited at all times:
- Roller Skates (including in-line skate)
- Bicycles (including hand crank bicycles)
- Baby Strollers
Participant Safety Information
A color-coded Event Alert System (EAS) will communicate the status of course conditions to participants leading up to and on race day. The levels range from Low (green) Moderate (yellow) High (red) Extreme (black) based primarily on the weather, as well as other conditions.
- Email and website communication during race week will inform participants of the current Event Alert System status and provide preparation tips based on advance weather forecasts.
- Updates will be made at the Kentucky Derby Festival Race Expo via signage in the packet pick-up area and public address announcements.
- On race day, the current Event Alert System status will be communicated via public address announcements and color-coded signs/flags at the start and finish areas, and along the course at each of the 6 Norton Medical aid station locations and via large digital traffic message boards.
- Runners signed up for Runner Tracking system can be directly communicated to via text or other alerts.
All participants should familiarize themselves with the Event Alert System prior to the race, remain alert for directions from race officials and announcers and take precautions to prepare properly for varying weather conditions on race day.
Event Alert System table:
Public safety message
Please join us in being vigilant of your surroundings during the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon and miniMarathon. If you see something say something, a suspicious person, object or vehicle along or near the race course, report the sighting to 9-1-1 or to onsite law enforcement personnel.
Do not store, hide or leave any personal items, backpacks, packages or clothes along or near the race course, including the start and finish line areas. Use designated Gear Check areas to check your personal belongings, or leave your personal items with a friend or family member.
Thank you for helping to keep yourself and those around you safe.
*6 Hour Course Limit for the Marathon
*4 Hours 20 minutes Course Limit for the miniMarathon
All participants must maintain a 13:45 minute per mile pace for the Marathon or a 15:00 minute per mile in the half Marathon (miniMarathon).
The roads will re-open progressively at the 15 minute per mile pace. The Louisville Metro Police trail car which starts after the last corral crosses the start line (not gun time) will reopen the roads. But Don’t Panic…participants will be allowed to continue the course by moving to the sidewalk and following pedestrian rules for safety. PLEASE NOTE, course services will not be available beyond this time.
Marathoners who do NOT reach Mile 8 (Churchill Downs Split) by 11:15AM will be deviated to the miniMarathon course at the course officials discretion. All Marathoners must reach the 20 mile Split (3rd & Breckinridge) by 12:05p.m. in order to continue the route with full support.