The Pace Team sponsored by Dick’s Sporting Goods is returning to the 2019 Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon/miniMarathonwith new energy and a group of runners who are experienced marathoners and pacers.
Are you looking to complete your first marathon, trying to set a personal record, or qualify for Boston? We will help you achieve your goal and have fun doing it!
The Pace Team has seasoned pacers who believe in consistent pacing, are energetic and personable, and dedicated to making sure you have a great time on race day.
- Participation is free to all participants who sign up at the expo booth on 4/25/19 to 4/26/19.
- Complimentary Pace Bracelets will be available at the Pace Team booth. One bracelet per person. We will ask each pace participant to sign up for your pace group at the Pace Team booth.
- The 2019 Pace Team has pace groups for the following:
- Marathon Times will include 3:10, 3:20, 3:30, 3:40, 3:50, 4:00, 4:15, 4:30, 4:45, 5:00, 5:15, 5:30 and 5:45
- miniMarathon Times will include: 1:40, 1:45, 1:50, 1:55, 2:00, 2:10, 2:20, 2:30, 2:45 and 2:50
- The goal is that Pacers will be running “even splits,” which means that every mile will be run at approximately the same pace. Most of the pace groups will not be walking during the marathon. (Traditionally, the pace groups from 4:15 and slower will be walking during fluid stations and pace groups 5:00 to 5:45 may incorporate longer walk breaks during the marathon.)
- Meet up with the Pace Team on race day at the starting line! They will be holding up signs with the pace group finishing times printed on them, and wearing Pace Team singlets. Please try to find your pace group twenty minutes before the start.
- Five or ten minutes before the start, your Pacer(s) will give their “start line instructions”. This will include any adjustments being made to the pace due to course conditions, as well as your Pacers’ method of meeting back up and keeping the group together at the fluid stations. This is another great opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have!
- Fluid station philosophy, meaning whether the Pacer will walk or run through it, is up to the Pacer(s). Each Pacer will let their team know their strategy for getting back together after a water stop. Traditionally, the pace groups from 4:15 and slower will be walking during fluid stations. Be sure to check with your Pacer at the expo booth or prior to the race if this is extremely important to you.
- We want you to run your own race. If you feel great on race day, and you want to go ahead to catch the next group, we’ll cheer you on. If it’s just not your day, slow down and wait for the next pace group behind to catch you. And if you want to just fall in and match strides with your pacer, we sure will appreciate the company! BEST OF LUCK and most importantly, ENJOY YOUR RACE!