Be part of a Scream Team!
Race organizers are literally breaking out the bells and whistles with this crowd support promotion for the Kentucky Derby Festival’s road races. Organized cheering sections – known as “Scream Teams” – will be situated at six locations along the marathon route. The locales will feature bleacher seating and a DJ playing recorded music. Spectators will be provided with motivational devices to inspire the runners, including pompoms and kazoos. “Runners truly need all the support they can get,” said Shanna Ward, Derby Festival race director. “The goal is to create an energetic and enthusiastic crowds along the route to support the runners from all over the world. We encourage neighbors and nearby businesses to have their employees come out and support these dedicated athletes. It’s amazing what a little vocal ‘pat on the back’ can do for a faltering runner.”
Race coordinators are breaking out the bells and whistles with this crowd support promotion for the Kentucky Derby Festival’s road races. Organized cheering sections–known as ‘Scream Teams’— will be setup at specified mile locations along the marathon & miniMarathon route. Scream Teams are encouraged to make their own signs, dress up as their favorite characters or bring music to dance or draw attention to their locales.
“Runners truly need all the support they can get” said Deja Lawson, Derby Festival Race Director. “The goal is to have the Scream Teams do for certain Louisville neighborhoods what the crowds do in Chicago, New York and Boston. We hope the Scream Teams will go a long way in providing the extra bit of enthusiasm and rejuvenation needed to motivate a faltering runner to finish strong. We encourage neighbors and nearby businesses to have their employees come out and support these dedicated athletes.”
- Chance to win Cash Prize for best spirited Scream Team
- Noise makers and spirit supplies provided by KDF
- Refreshments on site
- Group name listed on Derby Festival Marathon website and ‘Thank you’ ad in local newspaper
- Group signage may be displayed at your team location, as long as it does not interfere with the race
- Commemorative t-shirt for up to 20 participants
- Certificate of Participation with plaque included
To get involved or for more information, please email Shanna Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Race Entertainment Chair
- Central High School Drum Line
- DuPont Manual High School National Honor Society
- Envy Dance Team
- Girls on the Run
- League of Mascots
- lululemon Oxmoor Center
- Norton Healthcare
- Sounds Unlimited Productions
- Kentucky Gymnastics Academy
- Hope Scarves
- Iroquois High School Drum Line
- Humana Inc.
- 7 & 106.9
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Ford UAW
- Gilda’s Club
- Summit Media
- Big Brothers/Big Sisters
- Orphan Care Alliance
- Brown Forman
- Prince Hall Masons
- Planet Fitness
- Salem Radio
- Louisville Water Co.